My first 3 attempts ended in one of the strings ripping or me getting extremely frustrated. My fourth attempt produced a friendship bracelet. Yay! It will definitely be going in my shoebox. Here's how I did it.
I found this tutorial and it seemed somewhat easy... until i started doing it. After 3 attempts, I decided to cut the number of stings down from 8 to 6, which helped a lot. It made it go by quicker, and still gave the same effect, without being as confusing. I finally got the patter in about the last four rows, but I think I'll be giving it another shot. It took me about 2 and a half hours to make. Although it looks absolutely horrible, I think its still nice and I hope it will make a shoebox child's day a little brighter.
Smiles from Shoeboxes :)